Thursday, June 26, 2008

 

The Social Justice Talk


CARDINAL
I came up Lace Curtain. I believe most Catholics are like that.
They want order, tradition.

BISHOP
Indeed, Eminence.

CARDINAL
But you have priests and nuns picketing! And worse!

BISHOP
There are other kinds of Catholics.

CARDINAL
Not in my dioceses. Social Justice comes from the pulpit.
From persuading the powerful to yield a bit. From scripture!

BISHOP
Too slow for some of our brother and sisters, Eminence.

CARDINAL
I won’t have my priests on the street! The Church isn’t the Salvation Army.

BISHOP
You want me to order...?

CARDINAL
The heavy hand isn’t my way, or Christ’s.

BISHOP
They may laugh away anything else.

CARDINAL
Imagination! dear Bishop. The Church is full-spectrum! Acquaint them
with other facets.

BISHOP
As you wish, Eminence.

CARDINAL
Exhaust them. I might suggest required theology seminars, for one. Those thickets will snare the over-righteous soul and sap its will.

BISHOP
Eminence can be witty.

CARDINAL
Witty? It’s said about me, but I can never fathom why at the time.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?