Friday, April 05, 2013

 
Neighborhood

-Did all the things my parents did. And when I finally
got my own apartment, followed suit.

-Like?

-Went to Crabby Cal’s.

-Not so bad I hear.

-Cal an indifferent chef, but buys the best in meats,
breads, produce. Doesn’t ruin anything.

-High praise indeed!

-Go to same barber my father does. Every chubby finger a powerhouse of garlic! I can’t breathe by the time he spritzes witch hazel on my neck!

-Kind of a prisoner of the neighborhood?

-Not the half of it! And they didn’t have the spiffy twins of washer-dryer from Sears. We always used a laundry. Man did that place smell of coal dust! Had some big commercial accounts too and stoked the boilers with soft coal. My clothes still have, like, a sulphur whiff to them.

-So THAT’S what that is? I thought Lucifer was stepping round.

-Some day I’ll make a clean break and move downtown.

-Where the action is!–-or as much as this sleepy burg
can muster.

-And the women! Daughters of friends.

-Good stock enough.


-Enchantresses all! Trying to trick you into forty-fifty years of homegrown sex before you’re 

thrown into the ground!

-Hey! You don’t think they haven’t got their sisters
stationed downtown?

-There’s really no hope for anything.

-Psychiatrists say you hafta change yourself. And then
the whole world gets in line. A desultory process,
but they have no choice due to your new-found power.

-A miracle! They might as well be priests.

-Well, much as this happy horseshit edifies, got dental
appointment. See you around.

-I’ll be there.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Great images!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?