Saturday, September 21, 2013

 

The Both of You


Meeting Oneself

Anyway, there I am! I mean, if you count the
gray hairs he has exactly the same number.

Uncanny resemblance everywhere! And an office
manager too. Well, small wonder since a convention
of us.

We introduce, like looking into mirrors, though he's
not as shocked for some reason.

Exchange cards. He works for a small hardware
outfit twenty miles away.

When I tell Melody, she wants to see him. So, where's
the harm?

I call him up on his cell and we drive there the
following Saturday.

The girls get along okay, both caustic about the men.
Par for the course even when we’re not identical.

A few Sundays later, we go again. Well, we're invited.

Some major differences arise. I'm dying to get the Eagles'
score, and a beer, and his usual Sunday is listening to
old radio tapes and drinking tea.

Honest to God! So I witness something called
I Love a Mystery. Reggie is the one character I retain.

The ladies adjourn to her secret room where she shows
off quilts she has made.

“Well that's quite enough of that!” Melody erupts going home.

And it was. Except that my boss asks me to write an
article for the company newsletter about a famed
reorganization even then driving most of us nuts.


I figure I can get a quote from my strange twin: his firm
listed as one which a short while ago undertook this regimen
of identical marvels.

Uh uh. Nobody ever heard of him there.

I call the house, and real estate lady answers.
Been vacant a few months and they’re about
to rent it furnished!  She, too, has never heard
of my double and his wife.

Well, who's crazy here?

No...really. I don't think...that. What'd be the point
of a practical joke? Makes no sense.

I think that whatever entity that couple's from,
they've been drawn back by their authorities.
So, “creepy experiment” is the closest I can come.

Yeah it freaks me out! But, since Melody wants never
to hear about them again, I'm at least on safe
ground there.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
doppelgängers delight!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?