Saturday, September 05, 2015

 

Styles of Delivery


Milkmen

My brother sang Blueberry Hill for
the Sealtest Dairy's Christmas Party.

Their auditorium, and every kid got
a present from a roaming Santa.

Except me.

They didn't know I was coming

Still, made me sad, but a milkman was there
the next morning with a metal replica of
a Sealtest delivery van with a little milkman
inside.

Even now I see him coming up our stairs.
The human one.

So I play milkman several times, but my Uncle
Bill is one, from another dairy, and with a horse!

He enters our route with clops and the rattle of
of bottles.

Then the smaller clicks of bottles in his carrier as
he runs from the wagon, and the horse, a gray,
moves on at varied speeds, or stops for him to load
twin carriers.

A ballet that ends at Curran's Old Fashioned, which he
helps open while the horse chomps meditatively in a
bag of oats, gray in the still-gray light.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
positively literary!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?