Saturday, April 30, 2011

 
Rocco and Jimmie Various


ROCCO
So what’s the latest, Jimmie Various? Novel? Short...?

JIMMIE
Travel essay in anthology. I scope out a few small highways
through the people alongside.

ROCCO
Could be pretty good.

JIMMIE
Times critic sniffs "The LAHST piece deals with quite minor
American roads."

ROCCO
Well, he didn't say they should’ve stayed that way!

JIMMIE
Might as well have.

ROCCO
If you were a horse, be said: "Jimmie Various also ran."

JIMMIE
That’s me all right. I wouldn't mind just being quoted a bit.
Like, my words count.

ROCCO
You’re after immortality and it keeps receding
the more you trudge.

JIMMIE
Look at Catch 22. It's said in every language of the world!

ROCCO
Yeah it is. But that’s because of its thumpingly insane atmospheric. That’s the writing part.

JIMMIE
I'll take anything I can get.

ROCCO
Then pay attention to Yeats. Didn't he say something like you ought to be satisfied to distract a young girl with a poem?

JIMMIE
Mine have distracted, I suppose.

ROCCO
Why isn't it enough? A lovely closes a book of your verse
and says That's just
beautiful!

JIMMIE
Well, I’m not writing here! That’s for sure!

ROCCO
Maybe when you're shoving up daisies in your impatient
ghinny way, you’ll think about what I’m telling you.

JIMMIE
I will. Thanks. I’ll slow down the shoving up.

Mid poseurs, Rocco encounters a real writer in South Philadelphia.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?