Wednesday, December 25, 2013

 

An Outcome and a Story


Mac and Jilly

“How could you live so long and learn so little?”

As parting shots go, a near winner.

When Mackey quoted her to Doc, retired psychiatrist who
still kept half a hand in, he pondered over coffee and skim.

Finally saying "You're a classic car."

Mackey, still smarting, said “I know what I know!”

Doc, ignoring that, went on: "But a barn find. Needing
thorough restoration."

"You're kidding!"

"Nope."

"I wouldn't give her the satisfaction!"

"Forget Jilly, she's old news."

"But...if I? Where would I start?”

“My background says with the mental, but there's the
physical too. Get fixed up there for starters. You've
neglected a lot.”

“With the mental, would YOU...?”

“No way! Retired. A younger man or woman, much
more patient. We're looking at two years. And, as I said,
that’s just the motor.”

“Why don't I just forget it?”

“An option.”

“There'll be other Jillies, I’m confident!”

Were, in a manner of speaking. She came back.

The best they can do presently is tireless work for Toys For Tots
at Christmas.

The rest of the year they mostly fight.

Two barn finds, never restored. But they know it.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Magical!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?