Sunday, February 01, 2015

 

Sentimental. Yet loud!


The dating questionnaire said nothing
about voice. And Rose was loud.

And her clothes too. The waiter shot
them a miffed glance, as if Cliff should
tone her down. The little rowhouse
restaurant had low ceilings.

He did get her to skip dessert.

“That's fine. I like talking better.”

She did that, while they walked along
the river.

He composed the usual email thanking
her, wishing her luck in her search.

But, couldn't hit the send button.

She's so so beautiful, he reasoned. Maybe I
could get her to...


He couldn't. "You're the Quiet Man, and I'm
Maureen O'Hara!" asserts she the next time.

But this particular redhead ratchets things up
a couple of decibels!
he thought.

“Say it!” she intuited. “I'm loud! Mother and Dad
begged for mercy!”

“You're like Ethel Merman. Belting it out to the
back rows! But I’m in the front one. See little
ole me?” he waved.

“In...our own quiet times, should we arrive there,
you won't find me so.”

And he didn't.

Shortening things up: They eventually move in
together. Sparkling condo in the Old Rope Factory
Building. Jack Early, an old school chum, rents it
to him. “3C is my best unit. I'm 3D above you, and
if I killed an elephant, you wouldn't hear it!”

“Good, my Rose can get, uh, boisterous.”

A couple of months later, in the old freight
elevator that Jack retained for its grungy
feeling: "Do you hear anything from us?”

"Well, your Rose effectively defeated the
expensive insulation. But, I'm kidding,
of course. There's just a...sort of vibration.”

“Let me apologize.”

“Don't! It's most pleasant. And moreso since
I’ve met her a few times. She envelops!  And I
mean that in a good way. It's like...I don't know...
love or something."

"Gonna steal her away from me?"

"Listen! Let me tell you the effect this woman
has had on me. My sister has tried fixing me up for
a year or so and I always say no. But not this time!"

Jenny proves as strident as Rose, and when they
eventually have them in for drinks, the men
smoke Cuban cigars on the balcony while the
women...well it resembles shouting.

"Wanna bet on the winner?" he asks Jack Early.

"I don't hafta. It's both of us!"










Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
Happy ending afterall.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?