Saturday, February 14, 2015

 

The Good Republican


Lies? 


Rhetorical exaggerations I admit to.
And flourishes. Old-School there, I’m afraid.

You point especially to my Labor Day speech.
And scathingly see me as Republican, of course,
thus avowed enemy of the working person.


Some are, and very clearly. Ask them, they’ll
tell you. They love to! Wallow in their own
poisonous spit!

And you claim that we’ve destroyed unions?

Lots of factors have militated against unions,
though we’ve been the most important.

But I’m, individually, very Pro-Labor. I believe the
present dynamic is sick, and toxic to the country.
I believe, mostly, in a strong safety net.

The billionaire supplies his own, hedging his bets.
The worker bets his labor, and must be allowed to
hedge also.

Why haven’t you heard this before?


A hand clamps my mouth, known as Party.

If they turn off the cash spigot, I lose.

And, as the wilfully naive Supreme Court has
allowed obscene amounts, I can’t fall behind.

Hey! Everybody’s job contains terrible contradictions
and anomalies. Why should mine be different?

They’ll smear me RINO?

They can do much worse!
 

“Things are in the saddle, and ride mankind.” ?

And some horrible, dreadful, degrading things they are!

Why don’t you hear more from me? Why don’t I take
more of a stand?


Politics is incremental. And the parties have even blatantly
switched in history. If we live long enough, we’ll see
Republicans as the liberal party, and Democrats as the
stick-in-the-mud, and thoroughly despicable, Conservatives.

When I can fight, I will. When I can’t, I’ll talk the crap they wish.

A sort of partial and quite unsatisfactory answer?

That’s me. And you. And everybody.


Hey! They hanged Nathan Hale! “My only regret is that I have
but one life to give to my country.” Tremendous!

But he wasn’t always that Nathan Hale.










Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?